Even though Green Revolution in India initiated prosperous growth in the food sector making us self-sufficient , it has deprived us of the holistic Organic culture which our farmers have practiced for centuries . It has also made us subsidy dependent and cheap chemical and electricity users wiping out the natural predators , exhausting groundwater and curbing the creation of healthier gene-pool.
Many states pioneered in the production of Paddy, Wheat and cotton production levels by using plant protection chemicals which shot up nearly thirty-five times. However, we soon discovered the detrimental effects on the healthy life caused by extreme conventional farming. Most farmers either use the wrong chemical or overuse the chemicals and harvest the crops immediately after spraying.
It is estimated that only 10 percent of the sprayed pesticides reaches the pests and the rest 90 percent
enters the ecosystem contaminating the water and air and disturbing the natural Flora and Fauna.
Farmers of India take the least precaution to cover their body while spraying chemicals, some of them even reuse the containers of the chemicals to store food items.
Adulterated chemicals pose unique problems in farming, perpetually increasing the cost of production and mounting up losses. Pesticide residues in farm products have reduced demand for Indian foods in international markets.
Sikkim has inspired the whole nation to go back to its roots by becoming the first fully organic state in India.
Sikkim's Organic mission has become a success story after a decade of people's involvement in and strong political will. Farmers who embraced the ideology unanimously then, now earn 20 percent more than they did earlier,. Many of them have turned exporters. Eco-tourism and more active participation by youngsters have evoked more business interest in the state from across the country.
States like Kerala, Mizoram, and Arunachal Pradesh are all in a race to become the health capitals of the country taking their development close to nature. In Gods own country - Kerala, massive policy changes have been initiated for the well-being of the general populace and the environment have been initiated in the wake of several cases of Central Nervous System disorders caused due to heavy Endosulphan spray on Cashew plantations in Kasargod.
In view of all these negative effects of the use of chemicals, it is necessary to practice organic farming.
Agriculture must never be external input oriented when there are so much of farm resources that can be used for farming.
Organic farming holds remedy to eliminate poison in food chain ethically and also nullify escalating farmer suicide rates. waste to wealth conversion is another consequential effect of organic farming which bridges resource, energy, and nutrient management. Let us emulate the glory of Sikkim in every State of India.
Advantages of Organic Farming
- Organic Farming reduces the cost of cultivation up to 30 percent since the cost incurred on the fertilizers and plant protection chemicals can be omitted, besides organic farming is proven to be more profitable than conventional farming when adopted the right farming practice.
- Organic Farming conserves soil fertility for a long time by maintaining organic matter levels, encouraging soil biological activity and thus enabling the farmer to use the soil for a long time.
- Organic farming promotes ecological balance as it has a positive effect on ecosystem supporting the wildlife apart from providing safe pasture lands for grazing.
- Organic Farming is not only beneficial for farmers but it has also proved useful for the dairy industry. Cattle feed from organic farmlands have been found to be less prone to diseases and they yield more milk. These are definitely good signs for a consumer of these dairy products from a health perspective and for a dairy organization from the profit perspective.
- Products or foodstuff produced from organic farming neither contain any sort of artificial flavor or preservatives nor do they contain any harmful chemicals and the food produced from organic farming are found to be tastier than conventional farming.
- The original nutritional content of food is preserved due to the absence of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- The soil is the most important component in farming and organic farming preserves soil by reducing soil erosion up to a large extent.
- Consumption of products obtained from organic farming minimizes the risk of physical ailments such as heart attacks. Scientific studies have proven that organic foods are healthier than the inorganic ones.
On the overall, Organic agriculture sustains and enhances the health of soil, plant, animal, human and planet as one individual. Hence Organic Farming is the key to a Healthier, Sustainable future.